The PPS middle grades (6th - 8th) youth sports program will be directed by the Portland Interscholastic League (PIL). The student/athletes will represent their neighborhood high school cluster. In the spring of 2014 we piloted our track and field PIL youth program. This was the first time the PIL offered a sport for students younger than ninth grade and was welcomed with great success. We were able to grow the program and offer five sports during the 2014-2015 school year and added boys' basketball last year. Thanks in part to the financial support of many individuals, we will once again be offering the same youth sports at the middle grades level for the 2016-2017 school year. Cross country and girls' volleyball will be offered this fall, wrestling, girls' and boys' basketball in the winter, and co-ed track and field will return once again as our spring sport. Fall season begins on August 29th, winter practices begin in mid November and spring practices begin in late February this year. Details for each sport will be distributed to all cluster feeder schools, their SUN site managers and PE teachers. Some programs have developed informational web sites as well - see the 'youth web sites' tab on the PIL Youth Sports pull down menu.
Students in 6th, 7th and 8th grade wishing to participate in the PPS middle grades sports program will need to complete both a new athlete participation & emergency form and have a sports physical every two years. Individual cluster programs may have additional paperwork that will need to be completed.
3.50.063-AD Physical Examination
All students who participate in practice and/or competition in the interscholastic athletic program shall have a physical examination by a physician possessing an unrestricted license to practice medicine, a licensed physician assistant, a certified nurse practitioner or a licensed chiropractic physician.
(1) The “professional” (as listed above) must verify the ability of the student to participate.
(2) Students in grades 7 through 12 are required to have physical examinations performed prior to participation in extracurricular sports. “Participation,” as used in this policy means participation in sports practices and interscholastic sports competition.
(3) Verifying cards signed by the “professional” must be on file in the school office. Cards may be obtained at school.
(4) In case of a diagnosis of a significant illness or injury, or a major surgery of a student athlete, an additional physical examination with verification of the ability of the student to participate must be provided to the school.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS:
All students who participate in practices and/or competitions in the interscholastic athletic program must have a physical examination by a licensed physician prior to the time of their first participation.
1. The physician must verify the ability of the student to participate.
2. The authorization is valid for high school athletics – 2 years.
3. Verifying cards, signed by the doctor, must be on file in the school office. Cards may be obtained at the school.
4. The physical examination must be obtained from a physician possessing an unrestricted license to practice medicine, a licensed physician assistant, a certified nurse practitioner, or a licensed chiropractic physician who has clinical training and experience in detecting cardio pulmonary diseases and defects.
5. In case of serious illness or injury, an additional physical examination, with verification of the ability of the student to participate, must be provided by a licensed physician.
6. After the physical examination is verified, the following year a clearance form for “Returning Athletes” must be filled out by the parent or guardian. The form should be filed with the physical examination card in the school office. (Sample form follows.)
7. The Portland School District accepts exams given by family physicians, hospitals, and Portland School District Teen Health Clinics anytime during the calendar year.
8. Physicals for incoming freshmen (8th graders) done after spring break (of their 8thgrade year) are valid for 2 years.